Team Pie- 3WA Knitting Olympics Team

3WA does the knitting olympics! We're members of a completely serious, no snark ever allowed discussion board who enjoy knitting granny squares and ridiculously complicated floral intarsia smocked dresses for our perfect children. OK. We're a bunch of smartassed snarkmeisters who knit, curse, joke, and blather.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Knitting with toothpicks (the joys of fine gauge).

Hello all; on Blogger I'm known as Bliss, but on Team Pie I'm Parenthetical Girl.

My Olympic event is going to be a pair of gloves in red Koigu. I've never made gloves before, and just to make it that much more challenging, I'm going to use a size 0 needle. I've been making socks in fine gauges as training, and I've decided I really like the way they look and feel with the tiny little stitches. Right now I'm finishing up a pair of toddler socks which I'm knitting with a 000 needle (I might as well be using toothpicks). My wrists ache, my fingers are sore, and my eyes are weary. On the bright side, though, when I go back to using the size 0, it'll feel huge by comparison.

[An aside to Amelia: I understand what it's like to be powerless over the forces of gauge. I knit so loosely that I always have to go down at least two needle sizes. I prefer to knit things where I can choose my own gauge and calculate the stitches accordingly.
Ann Budd's book is really useful for this; you can knit at whatever gauge you like with a minimum of math involved. You might want to give this a try!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home